Haiti RAPIDs and Research Needs Workshop
The Earthquake Engineering Research Institute (EERI) organized, at the direction of the National Science Foundation (NSF), the Haiti RAPIDs and Research Needs Workshop. The workshop was held September 30 and October 1, 2010 at the NSF headquarters in Arlington, Virginia and organized so that recipients could:
1) share some of the initial findings from their research projects, and
2) provide NSF with recommendations for emerging research themes, opportunities, and needs.
The complete report from the Research Needs Workshop can be downloaded here: “The 12 January 2010 Haiti Earthquake: Emerging Research Needs and Opportunities”
The workshop included oral and poster presentations from all RAPID award recipients, followed by breakout discussions to develop recommendations for major research themes and opportunities as they emerged from the investigations of the Haiti earthquake and its impacts.
A primary goal of the workshop is to provide guidance for NSF’s future solicitations for major research needs related to earthquake mitigation, response, recovery, and rebuilding. A report summarizing emerging research themes will be delivered to NSF and published on the EERI Haiti Earthquake Clearinghouse website, as well as disseminated as broadly as possible to interested research, recovery, and reconstruction communities.
Attendees of the workshop included over 40 representatives from RAPID projects from institutions across the United States along with NSF program officers. Also, some invited guests and speakers from Haiti and representatives from agencies such as USAID, The National Academies, NIST, and IADB.
Click here to view the full workshop participant list.
The RAPID posters are now available in the Haiti RAPID Awards Online Poster Room, hosted courtesy of NEEShub. You may view and download any of the posters in the room by clicking the link next to ‘View/Download Poster’. In this room, you will also find a link to a PDF that includes all the RAPID award abstracts and a short biography of each Principal Investigator. The RAPID poster room is now open to browse at your convenience.
In addition to the online poster room we have also made posters available to view in the interactive virtual world Quake Quest, created by NEEScomm for the workshop. This is an exciting opportunity to view the posters interactively. Join us as we host two virtual poster sessions in Quake Quest in October:
Day 1 Presentations
RAPID Presentations by Group Leaders
Presentations of Invited Speakers from Haiti
- Frantz Verella, former Minister of Public Works, Transport & Communication, Professor of Network Economics and Computational Mathematics, State Univ. of Haiti
- Louis Herns Marcelin, Interuniversity Institute for Research and Development (INURED) & Univ. of Miami
- Amenold Pierre, Univ. of Nouvelle Grand’Anse
Breakout #1 Discipline-Group Focused Report-backs (View report-back slides)
Day 2 Presentations
Agency Panel Presentations
- Eric Calais, United Nations Developement Program (UNDP)
- Adam Reinhart, United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
- Jean Robert Altidor, Bureau of Mines and Energy, Haiti
- Lauren A. Alexander, National Academies of Science
- Matteo Grazzi, InterAmerican Developement Bank (IADB)
- Michael Blanpied, US Geological Survey (USGS)
Breakout #2 Preparedness, Response, and Transition & Recovery (View report-back slides)
Breakout #3 Cross Cutting Themes (View report-back slides)